Monday, February 4, 2008

My Grandma...

We just found out a few days ago that my Grandma's kidney cancer has spread to her bones before they got a chance to take it out. She has survived 7 different cancers already, and now this. They don't want to take out her kidney now because while her body's trying to heal, the bone cancer would go un-checked. So the options are to 1. cut off the blood flow to the kidney and let it die, then probably do dialysis (she wasn't a good candidate for dialysis before because she's so small), or 2. do nothing. She can't have chemo either, because you need good functioning kidneys to get rid of all the chemo toxins.

My Grandma is an amazing person, loves Jesus, loves her family, and is full of servanthood and humility. A true example of being Christ to those around you. We just lost my Grandpa last June, and I know that she misses him a lot. The family's trying to make decisions together (with a lot of conference calls, as they live in Nebraska, Portland, Medford, and two of their children here). This is tough.

I was reading in James 1 yesterday, and lately I've been praying for God to do whatever He wills with Grandma, whether it be healing, or taking away her pain, or whatever (kind of wishy-washy). But James says, "If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believing, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open." (Message) That has convicted me to pray for Grandma's healing. God will answer how He wants to, but that's how I'm going to pray. Boldly.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Jilly! I have a blog, too. mine is:

xanga.com/katiejudge

I'm glad you're on, and I'll read often!

Emily said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I'll be praying for her.