Friday, November 5, 2010

The Word

I've been reading through the Bible this year (OT once, NT twice). I've always tried to do it and I've gotten to February or March and have given up because of the time it takes to read three to four chapters a day. This year is different. I now have an iPhone that has a Bible reading program on it; it's amazing. I read first thing in the morning before I even get out of bed and it's working!!

The first part of the year reading through the Pentateuch and the Psalms and the Gospels was great. I was very into it every day and got a lot out of each reading. As the year has progressed, I've gotten more toward the history books and the prophets. I catch myself glazing over sometimes and not knowing what I just read. It's frustrating, but I have to admit that sometimes I just keep reading anyway instead of going back and re-reading it. The point is just reading it, right?

Not exactly. James 1:22 says, "Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." It's not that I'm not doing what the Word says, I'm not really even listening when my eyes just pass by the words. I need to be paying attention to what God has to say through the Scriptures. My goal for the remainder of the year is to try to get something out of each chapter each day. But I'm also excited to start reading the Bible through again next year and pay attention!

No comments: